Nestle in with the Moonflowers

I used to think love

blossomed in an edgy brilliance

like those thistle flowers

too prickly to touch

and then surely eaten

by night rabbits.

But then the Beloved

took my hand

and flew me into a hurricane

the cool blooming

chaos of my dreams.

All my worst fears swirled there

in the black-cloud underbelly

leaping to life any time

my attention landed on them.

As I faced each

with unblinking lioness eyes,

the images softened to but hazy reveries

from some life

I could hardly recall.

A new identity came to be:

a self within,

so like that rescue-dog,

who never for one moment

pauses in her wagging-tail devotion.

And so I learned that love

is not some here and gone state.

It does not tightrope

along the barbed-wire,

but instead curls itself

around the fencepost

and nestles in

with the moonflowers.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

12 Responses to “Nestle in with the Moonflowers”

1. Kelley June 28, 2018 at 11:43 am #

What an epic poem!!! Your vulnerability and universal truth about love catches my breath.
    Love you

• Lesley June 29, 2018 at 6:35 pm #

Kelley, what a lovely response! Thank you for grasping this poem and seeing into its meaning. Love you too!

2. Stephani June 29, 2018 at 6:07 am #

This is a beauty! It resonates with such meaningful imagery and great promise. I plan to share it with a group of friends at lunch today. Thank you and many blessings.

• Lesley June 29, 2018 at 6:33 pm #

Stephani, thank you for the encouragement, and for sharing the poem! In this one, I was playing with words and images more than usual, so I’m happy the meaning still came through. <3

3. Rudy June 29, 2018 at 2:13 pm #

You are making it more and more difficult to choose a favorite! I love the imagery and depth of the messages, and I agree with everyone who has previously commented. This is just superb!

• Lesley June 29, 2018 at 6:31 pm #

Thank you, Rudy. I’m happy you enjoyed it! It was a joy to write with the Master.

4. Chloe June 30, 2018 at 1:12 am #

Thank you for this Lesley. So many beautiful images. I love the hurricane swirling with your worst fears, and how you face them so courageously with your lioness eyes. And the rescue dog, unstinting in her devotion. I like the sense of journey. It’s inspiring how comforting, sure and constant, the image of what love truly is….yet shows the travails we are taken through to truly realise this. Thank you!

• Lesley July 2, 2018 at 12:24 pm #

Thank you, Chole. I love the way you “translated” this poem. It makes me happy to know that the meaning comes through. Learning to listen to the Beloved, as you know, is an ongoing process.

5. Logan Jo’el June 30, 2018 at 8:55 am #

As usual dear friend, your devotion for The Beloved comes through with an arrow soaked in His Love.
    I can see you’ve been working in the Divine Cafe, getting high on the sublime aroma from the finest beans in the cosmos, so much so that the your giving the cafe a new and fresh name.
    Continue on spinning in that dance you do so well, the breeze coming from the axis is sending along seeds to wanting soil!
    So much Love dear friend…see you in class…:-) <3

• Lesley July 2, 2018 at 12:22 pm #

Thank you, Logan, for your lovely comment wrapped in a poem! The love just flows through you with pure beauty.

6. Rebecca July 9, 2018 at 10:22 am #

Best poem EVER!!!😇❤🌹

7. Monica Zmuda July 9, 2018 at 3:32 pm #

Your writing keeps evolving into greater expressions of the Master’s essence. What a beautiful gift, Lesley, and that you share it with us. We are all so blessed. 💖