Hear the Music

I concentrate to play each note right

Pluck the base, strum the treble.

Focus on the beat, one-two-three-four.

Oh, but don’t forget the syncopation!

Then comes the arpeggio:

Fingers move so fast

they crash into each other!

And of course the words:

I must sing in tune

and remember the harmony.

Ahhh—I can’t hear the music for the notes!

I close my eyes and commune with the True Musician.

Practice, practice, practice.

One day I strum along fearlessly

feeling the verse rise and fall,

the chorus blossom.

The notes disappear

and I hear the music!

As I play,

crickets creak, birds chirp,

monkeys screech, lions roar

streams rush, waves crash, planets whoosh—

all present while seamlessly harmonizing

to sing as one.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

8 Responses to “Hear the Music”

1. Rudy May 17, 2018 at 7:41 am #

We pretend notes are the language of music, and that language is the expression of the soul, but both are poor substitutes for the melodies soul can sing or speak. This is a lovely contemplation of how clunky our physical expression can be as we try to commune with the Divine, and how wonderful it is when we escape body/form consciousness and just BE! Thank you for sharing, Lesley!

2. Monica Zmuda May 17, 2018 at 8:54 am #

Wonderfully done, Leslie. Relax, release, then merge with the Sound. At this point, words can’t describe it. Love the accompanying photo. You are a beautiful gift to the chela body dear soul. 💖

3. Debra Kuszewski May 17, 2018 at 8:58 am #

Beautiful sweetheart! Thank you!!

4. Stephani May 17, 2018 at 9:13 am #

This playful, jubilant reminder brought me a lot of joy! As a former musician with very little talent, it’s good to remember that the symphony that counts the most is the one within – the Master wielding the baton for all of creation.

5. Chloe May 17, 2018 at 3:38 pm #

Just lovely, thank you. A reminder to me not to strive for perfection but rather to remember to connect within, and all will come effortlessly. Thank you!

6. Amalesh May 17, 2018 at 10:21 pm #

I love this one, Lesley! Our mind – these days considered the crown jewel of human evolution – is sadly inept at our artistic or spiritual endeavors.In my morning exercise I often catch myself engaged in the state you describe in the beginning: Fingers crashing into each other, while trying to execute an arpeggio, hilarious! Then sometimes a subtle shift, relaxing into a love smile, and here comes the melodious awareness that can’t produce a harsh note no matter where it ventures, planets and monkeys and all…..

7. Lesley May 18, 2018 at 10:36 am #

Thank you all for you loving comments. All kudos to the Beloved, and to Amalesh, who helped formulate the phrase “can’t hear the music for the notes.” Learning to play an instrument offers so many lessons, about patience and perseverance and focus, but I am finding that some moments when I let go, the music just flows, and this is so true of the Path, and becomes more true every day as I practice.

8. Kelley May 20, 2018 at 3:56 pm #

Your masterful poetry elicits the true feelings of what it feels like to play and sing music.
    Incredible you,