Death by Selfie

She stands with her back to the cliff edge

camera poised arm’s length

capturing the indigo sky and craggy canyon below.

She moves her head into the frame,

poses just right

eyes wide to disguise an intruding brow,

daring smile to impress friends.

Tilting the camera to capture more

she inches back

and back yet farther.

A pebble shifts beneath her foot

and she slips…

plunging into the abyss.

Tags: , , , , ,

10 Responses to “Death by Selfie”

1. Stephani November 30, 2017 at 8:08 am #

Daring and fun. Profound on so many levels. Thank you for this jump start to my day!

2. Rebecca November 30, 2017 at 9:07 am #

Brilliant! Absolutely perfect and timely! Thank YOU!

3. Monica Zmuda November 30, 2017 at 10:23 am #

I see this from many angles: ego’ s need to look good, lack of attention to surroundings and safety, but mostly , enjoying life in the moment with its scheduled ending playing out. 😏

4. Bud Russo November 30, 2017 at 10:31 am #

I do hope whoever the poem is about has a better ending. I have often dreamt of standing at the edge of an abyss. Below are jagged rocks. My spiritual guide tells me, “Step off. You cannot fall. You will soar.” I’d like to think your protagonist’s adventure has a similar outcome.

5. Rudy November 30, 2017 at 12:12 pm #

Wow! This is a departure from most of your poetry. You usually leave a poignant thought to bring the reader to a new understanding, but here you brilliantly let us all gather whatever insights come to us individually. I was amazed to read all the different ways this poem is being interpreted. It’s genius!

6. Kelley November 30, 2017 at 7:36 pm #

Wow!!! Reminds me of a poetry version of a Hitchcock movie.
    I love it:)

7. Andre Swyden December 1, 2017 at 2:52 pm #

Fabulous!
    Contemplating this from the many angles as I see others doing as well. Smiling through each angle but one…… 🙂 and I know I would learn from that one as well, eventually!

8. Lesley December 1, 2017 at 4:11 pm #

Thank you all for you kind and insightful comments. This came to me as a cautionary tale. I read that in places such as Japan and India the governments are having to prohibit selfies in certain areas because people are dying this way. I thought of myself, when vanity takes over, and what an abyss I fall into, and so arose the poem.

9. al medina December 5, 2017 at 8:12 am #

The abyss of vanity, indeed. Thanks for that honesty, Lesley. Millennials are taking tons of selfies…about 25,000 in a single life time, according to recent research. There is no restraint or second thought for the sybarite of modern times. I am glad you slipped…it was a definite message, lovingly and safely delivered for your understanding. My own life is a constant delivery of similar messages from the Great One. A point of wisdom from the Adi Granth: “Pride to drown, humility to cross”. Thanks much for the stupendous pic…looks like Sandia Peak, looking southward. Many blessings and I am happy that your slip did not, by Mercy, entail injury.

10. Bill Moneypenny December 5, 2017 at 8:44 pm #

Wow, that was unexpected! Looking forward to seeing you in San Diego. (If the current wildfires don’t mess things up!)