Cure the Past

DSC00441 (1)

Out of seemingly nowhere

it comes

a dust devil racing across the desert

swirling up an image

from a week, a month—

ten, twenty, thirty years ago.

It’s suddenly alive, a fighting bull breathing fire:

the thing your mate or child or mother said or did

or didn’t say or do

that knocked you to the floor

and stomped on your heart.

It’s true, real, vivid as an HD movie

with a bombastic soundtrack—

a heart surgeon’s knife

poised to cut deep.

And it does cut, only with yet more pain

because the incision point is already an old, old scar,

or many scars, ones you don’t even remember,

maybe even from another life!

This time, however, you’re armed.

You remember that all is the Beloved.

That ancient or recent word or deed

churning within the mind

was not from the husband, wife, sister or child.

It was a perfectly wrapped gift to call you back

to remind you that you are not that mate, daughter, writer or neighbor

but are instead

a whirling universe

infinite

eternal

free.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

12 Responses to “Cure the Past”

1. Teddy May 4, 2017 at 7:15 am #

Hello dear Lesley,

Old images and experiences have been up for me this week.
    Thank you for putting it into words, in such a beautiful way.

May your day be filled with many blessings and much love,
    T

• Lesley May 4, 2017 at 5:37 pm #

Thank you, Teddy. You are not alone. Lots of purification going on!

2. Helen Visarraga May 4, 2017 at 8:11 am #

Today as I prepare to walk into my day, your words and images solidified my SE. Thanks beautiful soul.

• Rudy May 4, 2017 at 12:21 pm #

I love the dust devil analogy! So perfectly named and re-purposed! I’ve had so many “buried” little devils coming up lately, and I’ve wondered where they were all these years, the little cowards. They don’t bother me much, but they are insistent little critters. Your poem helps pound them down, break them into bite-sized pieces and toss them or burn their seeds. Such an inspired post — thank you so much for sharing it.

• Lesley May 4, 2017 at 5:39 pm #

Wow, Rudy, such power in your position toward those pesky little illusions. I’m taking that one home and using it!

3. Chloe Kyle May 4, 2017 at 1:19 pm #

Thank you Lesley, this is so divinely inspired. I too love the dust devil analogy and the fighting bull breathing fire. Your poem reminds and encourages me to identify with the true essence within, rather than allowing my mind to swirl with the dust devil or play matador with the bull. This is perfect timing for me, thank you!

• Lesley May 4, 2017 at 5:40 pm #

Thank you, Chloe, beautifully said. I too am learning to not engage with the shadow. It’s so empowering.

4. Jamie May 4, 2017 at 2:38 pm #

I too love the dust devil analogy! Memories do stir us up and seem to come out of nowhere disturbing everything in their path until we show up to create anew. 😉 And yes they are gifts from the Beloved, who wants us to move past the limitations in order to be able to step into the “infinite eternal free” now. Thank you, Lesley! Your words are healing and inspirational. Much love to you.

5. Lesley May 4, 2017 at 5:42 pm #

Thank you, Jamie. Creating anew, that is definitely the key. So inspiring!

6. Ilana May 4, 2017 at 7:11 pm #

Very moving, powerful and so true. Thank you!! ❤❤

7. Stephani May 5, 2017 at 6:04 am #

Thank you for another reminder that perspective and attitude will always transform even the most intense and persistent dust devil churning within the mind. It echoes the words of the Master that peace and harmony are just one focus away. Love you so!

8. Kelley May 6, 2017 at 10:58 am #

Lesley,

This poem spoke to my soul and helps me to remember why I chose to come back here ( to earth) again.
    Love you,