Where There’s a Hill, There’s a Way

Recently I got a new bicycle. It is shiny red and black with a little flame near the handlebars. Though I have been an avid cycler since I was a child, for various reasons I have not ridden in several years.

Now I am back in the saddle.

On my first day I head into the vast network of trails near my house. Tingly joy courses through me as I follow a familiar dirt road up a hill.

My next time out I intend to do the same, but I see a single-track veer to the left and I take it. Suddenly my heart beats fast and my palms grow moist as I head into the unknown.

I immediately call on my Beloved to accompany me on this adventure.

I am completely awake. My concentration zeroes in on the winding path before me that leads ever upward.

The track turns left and squeezes between two massive piñon trees and then climbs a small hill. I downshift to make it to the top.

Because I am awake I negotiate each obstacle with ease. I upshift before an arroyo and keep pedaling so I don’t sink in the sand.

When I come to a steep descent, I brake fast with both the front and the back, keeping my bike in balance.

A snake crosses the path, brown diamonds on its back.

A rattler?!

My throat constricts, but I see no rattle. It’s only a bull snake. To avoid hitting it, I veer onto the grass.

A cool breeze blows across my neck, while the sun warms my cheeks.

A jackrabbit races alongside me, and though I relish the beauty as it bounds, I do not let it steal my concentration.

I climb and climb.

I yell, “whoop” over whoop-de-doos (little hills in a series) and I scream around banked curves.

Occasionally my mind darts away. It thinks of work or friendship or family. Under me, my bike wavers, it bumps on a rock, and I recognize I must hold my concentration or I will go down.

Everything depends on this moment.

I trust the Divine to take care of my finances, my relationships, my home, my whole life. All that matters is what is before my face.

It is enough for me to negotiate what is in this moment.

It is everything for me to be right here, right now.

I work, I play, I love on God’s great single-track.

I arrive at the summit. Piñon forest stretches below me, with sapphire mountains in the distance. All obstacles are gone.

I breathe the radiant joy that I am.

Tags: , , , , , ,

18 Responses to “Where There’s a Hill, There’s a Way”

1. facebook_logan.joel.7 October 2, 2012 at 8:11 am #

Such a lovely way to share. Much principle compacted into words that will touch and move others to their own heights in the moment. As always I applaud your work, and am reminded to help till the fields even if it is in the simple support of a smile…. 🙂
    Bendiciones y Amor Amada.

• Lesley October 2, 2012 at 8:52 am #

I’m so grateful for your always beautiful additions to my essays, Logan. They are like the final blaze on an amazing sunset, the one that really sets the sky on fire. Blessings, dear soul.

• facebook_logan.joel.7 October 3, 2012 at 6:58 am #

Your kind words are the reflection of the sunset upon the ocean.
        Con amor sincero. 🙂

• Lesley October 3, 2012 at 7:11 am #

So sweet! Thank you.

2. Sonja Hannon October 2, 2012 at 8:49 am #

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!! Loved the experience and how you expressed it!!

• Lesley October 2, 2012 at 8:52 am #

Sonja, thank you. We are so blessed with the freedom to play. All we have to do is claim it!

3. Lori Goetz October 2, 2012 at 9:24 am #

I love it Lesley-so in the NOW….As my job comes nearing to an end this is perfect for me to stay in the present with my Beloved…and yet I must admit, I cannot wait untill our next biking adventure! As always your loving service is so greatly received and appreciated.

• Lesley October 2, 2012 at 9:29 am #

Lori, it’s wonderful to see you comment here. Yes, you are safe in the arms of the Beloved, right here, right now. You are so safe. I really look forward to our next bike adventure too. The last one was so much fun. Until then, enjoy God’s great single-track.

4. Michael D. Baggetta October 2, 2012 at 11:12 am #

Lesley, you are an incredible writer and channel of the Shabda Dunn. When i read your writings I really feel a surge of Shabda come into my consciousness! Thank you for everything! I can’t wait to read your book!

Michael D. Baggetta

• Lesley October 2, 2012 at 1:29 pm #

Thank you, Michael. I am so happy about the surge that came through. That is the highest of compliments. I write these over a period of days and sometimes weeks, always asking the Divine to flow through me. Just took a bike ride and found yet a new trail–more chance to hold that concentration!

5. Rudy Anderson October 2, 2012 at 6:45 pm #

“Everything depends on this moment.” Truer words were never spoken, Lesley. As you know, I am a big fan of your work and your bicycle metaphor brings these key lessons of attention and discrimination so artfully home. Many thanks for sharing with us and watch out for goat head weeds!

• Lesley October 3, 2012 at 6:33 am #

Rudy, when I wrote that sentence i was echoing a Wallace Stevens poem that I used to love: Everything depends/ upon the red wheel barrow/ glazed with rainwater/ beside the white chickens.
      I never really understood it until now.
      As for the goat heads, they already got me once, but only stole my attention for a few minutes.
      Blessings, dear friend.

6. Susan Stoffer October 3, 2012 at 9:43 am #

Thanks Leslie ! Another very, beautifully descriptive way of showing the passage from doing to being …& staying in the moment with the Beloved !

• Lesley October 4, 2012 at 11:14 am #

Susan, yes, I love what you bring in. We really can live this great force, own it, be it. I can feel the power in what you say in my third eye. Thank you!

7. Jamie October 3, 2012 at 12:24 pm #

Hi Lesley,
    I love the line “I work, I play, I love on God’s great single-track.” That about sums everything up for me. There is no separation between God and all of life. It is only when our focus wanders that the separation occurs. Here’s to many beautiful journeys down God’s great single track. 🙂

• Lesley October 4, 2012 at 11:13 am #

Jamie, what you say is so beautiful. No separation, yes! So happy to be traveling this single-track with you, dear friend.

8. Deborah Harvey October 4, 2012 at 3:04 pm #

Oh honey, what a fun adventure with the Master. Always there to guide us when we are present and focused and allow him to lead the way. Stress-free and joyful! Love your play with this piece.

9. Lesley October 4, 2012 at 4:32 pm #

So true, Deborah. Stress-free and joyful. Life is so easy when we let it be.